At GEAR GARAGE we take privacy, transparency and security for our users seriously. We respect our user’s privacy and will take all reasonable measures to protect it in accordance with the laws of the Republic of South Africa.
Gear Garage operates the online platform at https://geargarage.co.za/ .
This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information we receive from users of the Site and Platform. We use your Personal Information only for providing and improving the Site. By using the Site, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this policy and applicable laws.
COLLECTION AND USE OF INFORMATION
When using our Site, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to your name (“Personal Information”). No credit card information is stored on our website. We will use the information you give us to process your order and keep you informed of its progress, to give effect to your payment instructions and to assist with ensuring delivery of your purchase to you. We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service and improving our products. When you visit the Site, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically-collected information as “Device Information”.
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
– “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
– “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
– “Web beacons”, “tags”, and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfil any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations). Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
– Communicate with you;
– Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud; and
– When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with our Site). We may use your Personal Information to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information when you have subscribed to our newsletter. We will not send you any promotional material unless you explicitly gave us permission to do so.
WHO DO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH?
We will ensure that all of our employees, third party service providers, divisions and partners (including their employees and third party service providers) having access to your personal information are bound by appropriate and legally binding confidentiality and non-use obligations (save as permitted herein) in relation to your personal information.
Subject to the above, we will not, without your express consent:
- use your personal information for any purpose other than as set out below:
- in relation to the ordering, sale and delivery of goods;
- to contact you regarding current or new goods or services or any other goods offered by us or any of our divisions and/or partners (unless you have opted out from receiving marketing material from us);
- to inform you of new features, special offers and promotional competitions offered by us or any of our divisions and/or partners (unless you have opted out from receiving marketing material from us); and
- to improve your experience on our website by, inter alia, monitoring statistical non-personal browsing habits, and to transact with us; or
- disclose your personal information to any third party other than as set out below:
to our employees and/or third party service providers who assist us to interact with you via our website, email or any other method, for the ordering of goods or when delivering goods to you, and thus need to know your personal information in order to assist us to communicate with you properly and efficiently;
- to our divisions and/or partners (including their employees and/or third party service providers) in order for them to interact directly with you via email or any other method for purposes of sending you marketing material regarding any current or new goods or services, new features, special offers or promotional items offered by them (unless you have opted out from receiving marketing material from us), and
- to our suppliers in order for them to liaise directly with you in the event of you submitting a warranty claim regarding any goods you have purchased which requires their involvement.
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR DATA FOR?
Retaining personal data depends on the purpose for which it was obtained and its nature. We shall store data for as long as the user can be considered a customer. Upon request, we will delete user information, noting the consequences of such action, for example, not receiving order status and shipping updates.
The security of your Personal Information is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen. Should there be a breach to our systems, we are bound by law to notify you of this breach and report the incident to the related authorities.
WHAT ARE MY DATA SECURITY RIGHTS?
As a customer, you have the right to request that we delete your data from our system. If you wish for us to do so, kindly email or phone as per our contact details listed on the website.
You may contact us to:
- get a copy of your collected data
- to update your data
- to unsubscribe from mailing lists
- to delete your data
Gear Garage commits to:
- treat your personal information as strictly confidential;
- take appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure that your personal information is kept secure and is protected against unauthorised or unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage, alteration, disclosure or access;
- provide you with access to your personal information to view and/or update personal details;
- promptly notify you if we become aware of any unauthorised use, disclosure or processing of your personal information;
- provide you with reasonable evidence of our compliance with our obligations under this policy on reasonable notice and request;
- upon your request, promptly return or destroy any and all of your personal information in our possession or control; and
- not retain your personal information longer than the period for which it was originally needed, unless we are required by law to do so, or you consent to us retaining such information for a longer period.
The Site is not intended for individuals under the age of 18.
OUR LEGAL COMMITMENT
At GEAR GARAGE we strive to conduct our business with our users and protect their information with utmost integrity. GEAR GARAGE subscribes to the applicable laws and legislation of the Republic of South Africa.
In terms of South African law, the right to privacy is protected in terms of the common law and section 14 of the Constitution of South Africa 1996.
The Protection of Personal Information Act (called the POPI Act or POPIA) recognises the right to privacy enshrined in the Constitution and gives effect to this right by mandatory procedures and mechanisms for the handling and processing of personal information. The POPI Act is in line with current international trends and laws on privacy. ‘Processing’ is widely defined, including the ‘collection, recording, organisation, storage, updating or modification, retrieval, consultation, use, dissemination by means of transmission, distribution or making available in any other form, merging, linking, as well as blocking, erasure or destruction of personal information.’
The POPI Act provides eight information protection principles to govern the processing of personal information. There are specific principles for the lawful processing and use of personal information. In a nutshell, the POPIA principles are:
- The processing of information is limited which means that personal information must be obtained in a lawfully and fair manner.
- The information can only be used for the specified purpose it was originally obtained for.
- The POPI Act limits the further processing of personal information. If the processing takes place for purposes beyond the original scope that was agreed to by the data subject, the processing is prohibited.
- The person who processes the information must ensure the quality of the information by taking reasonable steps to ensure that the information is complete, not misleading, up to date and accurate.
- The person processing the personal information should have a degree of openness. The data subject and the Information Regulator must be notified that data is being processed.
- The person processing data must ensure that the proper security safeguards and measures to safeguard against loss, damage, destruction and unauthorised or unlawful access or processing of the information, has been put in place.
- The data subject must be able to participate. The data subject must be able to access the personal information that a responsible party has on them and must be able to correct the information.
- The person processing the data is accountable to ensure that the measures that give effect to these principles are complied with when processing personal information.
The introduction of these defined principles will limit the processing of personal information to a very large extent, subject to the exclusions provided for in the POPI Act.
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e mail at email@example.com.